Self service pharmaceutical search portal
Research, conceptual & visual design for a Swiss multinational pharmaceutical company based in Basel. Portal allows employees to search intranet for docs, people & services. With the focus on providing a user centred approach, I was responsible for the UI design & modernising an outdated style guide. I also produced assets for technical implementation.
Employees would often waste hours / days trying to find documents on unlabelled folders hidden on company servers.
This was costing the company millions in wasted time and wanted to improve productivity.
The needless time wasting costing money impacting business performance and revenues.
- To improve company and individual productivity by making documents quick and easy to search for.
- Research search engine best practices.
- Tag existing content into defined categories.
- Display results intuitively and ability to filter content by date, file type, author & relevance.
- Update the 15 year old outdated style guide into great modern UI experience.
- Making sure responsive design worked across all screen sizes.
- Easily navigate content with seamless user experience.
- Ensuring visuals could be implemented on search platform.
- Validating the designs with developers and gaining sign-off from brand.
- Improve loading times.
An ultra simple UI to make searching for ultra complex data as easy as possible. The navigation was key to its success followed search engine best practices ensuring content and the search results were easy to view and filter. The search portal was also accessible on multiple devices including desktop, tablet and smart phone.
The Design Process
- Gathering requirements and research
- Defining the: Brand/ User/ Goals
- UX Workshops in ideation, personas, user journeys, user flows
Sketching and wireframing
Prototype > test > iterate > refine
Design high fidelity UI visuals, interactions and package up assets
Support build and implementation by developers